Atkind Family Recipe: Potato Latkes
By Very Special Guest
5 lbs potatoes, peeled
2 large onions
6 large eggs
2 tsp salt
½ cup Matzo Meal (or 6 tablespoons flour)
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Using grater or food processor, grate potatoes and eggs, using light pressure to make lacier latkes. Pour into bowl.
2. Add eggs, salt, pepper and flour or matzo meal. Mix well.
3. Heat ¼ tablespoon of vegetable oil in large frying pan.
4. Use large spoonful of batter, flatten slightly, for each latke - don’t crowd the pan.
5. Turn to fry until well-browned on both sides.
6. Drain on double layer of paper towels.
7. Serve immediately or let cool and freeze in large freezer bags.
To reheat frozen latkes, preheat oven to 350
degrees, place frozen latkes on baking sheets
directly into hot oven for approximately 10 minutes.
8. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream.
June says that “this recipe makes about 50 latkes - I usually double the recipe, using 10 lbs of potatoes.”
Our warmest thanks and blessings to the Atkind family for sharing this family recipe for our very first Goosemas edition!
Note: We are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected to Goose. We just love the band that much.