Recipe #3: Mary’s Vegan Flodown Buckwheat Flapjacks
1 ½ cups buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ cups unsweetened oat milk
(or any unsweetened plant milk)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
(or 1/3 of a lemon)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
(or any neutral oil or apple sauce)
2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave (I used a blend.)
Pictured Above: Bonnie presenting vegan-friendly Flodown flapjacks!
Photo Credit: Bonnie Lombardi
1. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and make sure your cups of flour are completely level. Stir and mix well.
2. Add wet ingredients to the bowl with the flour mixture.
3. Stir until just combined. Do NOT over mix. A few lumps are fine. Over mixing will not result in the desired outcome.
4. Let batter rest for 7 minutes and 26 seconds.
5. Meanwhile, heat pan or griddle to medium heat and coat with vegan butter, neutral oil, or spray.
6. In sparse ¼ cup portions, ladle batter onto pan or griddle. Use the back of a spoon if necessary to make a nice looking pancake shape.
7. Cook for a few minutes until tiny bubbles appear and the edges are just getting dry. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
Should make about 8 pancakes. Serve with vegan butter, your favorite syrups (that REAL REAL) seasonal berries and fruit, nut butters (like creamy almond), dairy free coconut yogurt, etc.
Note: If you want to include blueberries, gently fold them into the batter after the wet and dry ingredients have been combined.
Bonus Q&A with Bonnie Lombardi:
What is your favorite vegan Snack?
Bonnie: Chips & Salsa
Why is a vegan lifestyle important to you?
Bonnie: A vegan lifestyle is important to me because it exists in alignment with my moral values and ethics now. I could no longer play an active part in the systemic exploitation of sentient beings when I learned about the horrors of animal agriculture. Animals don’t deserve to be born into a world of suffering, only to die in fear and agony. Bear in mind 99% of animals consumed come from highly unregulated factory farms. My only regret is that I didn’t open my mind and heart sooner. We can access every essential nutrient needed through a properly planned whole foods plant based diet. I encourage everyone to live as plant based as they possibly can. Nine billion people doing their best to live as vegan as they can is more impactful than nine million perfect ones.
Note: We are not affiliated, associated with or in any way officially connected to Goose.
We just love the band and community that much.